• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction The Official Bluelight Smoking Cessation Thread v. Let's quit the cancer

sean107

Bluelighter
This may need to be moved so feel free, but I'm on nicotine patches, and I've cut back from a pack per day to about half a cigarette on average, and I'm wondering if I'm benefiting at all? Also I'm curious for those who have quit as to how they feel without cigarettes, than with?

Of course your benefitting, it's awesome that your down to just a half a cig a day. The nicotine might be the addicting part but the actual carcinogens are from the smoke and other crap in the cigs, so the patches aren't nearly as bad as cigs are.

I never got enough benefits from any gum, patch, spray, vaporizer, etc.

The only way I've ever managed to quit nicotine for an extended period of time was by replacing cigarettes with cannabis.

Everytime I want a cigarette, first I would roll joints because the process is still very much like rolling/smoking a cigarette in a psychological sense, and then using high potency extracts like hashes, keifs, and oils to zap any urges that remained after smoking the joint.

I also need to quit smoking, whenever I go about 18-24 hours without a smoke I get really bad headaches and kind of feel a little off. I also get real edgy and a little bit anxious. I've only been smoking for about six months before that I was using dip and chewing tobacco for about a year and a half. I stoppedd smoking for about a week a couple of months back and beside the edgy feelings and anxiety the headaches were pretty bad but not totally unbearable. I also noticed an increase in my appetite and gained about five pounds during the week that I quit. A friend of mine quit about six months ago and told me she never had any problems with it except for the headaches. Some people can quit with ease, others I have talked to say It's the hardest drug they ever quit but everyone's different. I started back after a stressful family problem, which was a mistake. Things have slowed down in my life but I plan on quitting on Monday cold turkey and just sticking it out. Good luck with your decision on stopping smoking.

When I quit smoking I felt really great! I was so happy I beat my addiction. I wish I never started back up again. The crap in your lungs come back. Your heart rate increases. You always want one. It cost money and time away from your family. It's not as popular any more. Its repulsive if you don't smoke. Your hair, clothes, car, house and garage smells ( if you smoke in it). I never tried the patches but the e-cig did help with cravings.

um? i actually just recently quit cold turkey, and i've been six whole days without a ciggie now, although i still crave them a few times a day.
i found this cool article... http://www.trans4mind.com/counterpoint/index-health-fitness/ryan.shtml i still gained about 5-6 pounds though, cause this article got to me a little late.. still, i actually don't mind cravings, and i've actually come to quite like them, because it's an intense part to my otherwise boring day lol. i have noticed already that i can smell slightly better, i'm definitely not hacking up the nasty shit that i had been for the past few months, and when a guy came into my work today smelling like smoke, it just smelled chemically, like i could notice all of the chemical smells to it and not just the tobacco.. the anxiety and irritation were really high for me, then peaked at probably days 3/4. the headaches are gone, and when i came home today i just walked straight into my house without even thinking about stopping in the garage for a cigarette, and felt like a badass as soon as i realized that. so yeah, definitely worth it. not to mention, i've saved at least 14 dollars...

ive been nicotine free for almost 3 months now, it sucks at first. i was always craving them, and i still do sometimes. it gets better.

With cig's sucks bad. I'm back on cig's from the vapor fake cig's due to increased stress in my life. Lungs worse, money worse, life expectancy worse, risk of painful death worse, climing stairs, caughing, short of breath, bad all around are cig's.

I'm going to take advantage of free nicotine substitutes from my health plan and any reduction in smoking I can get will be an obvious plus. Cig's are prob the worst drug out there, hardest to quit probably too.

Unless another one exists and is brought to my attention I'm going to make this The Official Bluelight Smoking Cessation Thread.

Let's get all the tips, advice, experiences in one thread and see what happens maybe we can make something of it :)

My tip: replace cancer with cannabis for a rapid detox, per say, with no nicotine whatsoever.

Has anyone used Wellbutrin for quitting cigarettes? I've heard about it being prescribed for this purpose off-label I believe.

I've been off for two weeks, and I've just been smoking soooooo much hash, and it helps a lot. Also quit coffee.

That is a great idea Tricomb!!! I really need to stop. I can not afford it and it is killing me. This would be a great support thread to help encourage quitting. Tomm my first step will be not to smoke first thing in the morning and see how long I can go. Anybody with me? I'm really competitive so who wants to do this too, see how long we can go?

I honestly was going to PM you about this.

But yeah, I haven't had a cigarette in 24 hours, so this is , for the one millionth time, day 1 of no nicotine for me. Let's see what you're made of Zoey Lynn

Your on! I'm actually a little excited. The last time I quit was July 29,2011 and I picked it back up on my birthday dec 2nd. I used the excuse I had "State" follow me in my home health nursing job. Yes it was really stressful thinking about it, but when I went threw it it was a piece of cake. There was no need to stress. That's what I used for my excuse. Stupid. Very stupid.

I tried Wellbutrin / Zyban back in 2000. I took it and felt fine. I smoked 2 hits of a joint and felt fine (first time in months). Later that night I had the worst panic attack ever. I called my mom to take me to the ER. I tried to throw up anything in my system. Just dry heaves. The Er department gave me shots to calm me down barely worked and I went home hrs later. That's my experience. I might add I had daily panic attacks that lasted for hours at that time.

Last edited:
Has anyone used Wellbutrin for quitting cigarettes? I've heard about it being prescribed for this purpose off-label I believe.

I think it is a horrible idea. I watched someone take roughly 150mg of bupropion while being a cigarette smoker, and they hated the effects, and it lasted about a full day. It is an antagonist at the site nicotine agonizes, I imagine it would be like a cigarette smoker's naloxone.

I'm not open to using any anti-depressant, I was just wondering if anyone else had used it with any degree of success for managing to stay off cigs. I heard that the antagonism took all the pleasure out of smoking cigarettes.

I don't know, hence why I asked. But have no fear, I wasn't contemplating it for my own use.

Do you do nicotine CH?

It was 11 years ago when I managed to give up using nicotine lozengers.

My habit was largely for hash and tobacco Js, I only smoked cigarettes at work and places I couldn't smoke a J, for this me this meant I had to give up both tobacco and any form of cannabis, I was successful in stopping tobacco but anytime afterwards I have tried smoking cannabis, either hash or weed I have had carvings for that original tobacco and hash J I used to love so much.

All in all it's been worth it, I didn't want my kid growing up seeing me smoking and TBH my hash habit had been out of hand for many years and not at all healthy.

I heard that datura helps to quit smoking, idk if I'd wanna do that though lol

I'm a pack a day smoker but I have quit in the past. For me nothing helped really helped aside from tooth picks.

I would go through packs of tooth picks in no time but they helped out because it gave me something to chew on and occupied my hands. Basically would keep one at all times, sometimes an extra one tucked behind an ear. You would be surprised at how much it helps.

Right now I am considering switching to rolling my own smokes from locally sourced tobacco. For many reasons;

- more effort involved so less likely to fire one up on impluse.
- Less consumed daily because they will be stronger (I can only smoke about half of a self rolled smoke).
- Less issues with people bumming cigarettes
- Costs less money per day/month

Anyway, my plan is to switch to rolling my own and eventually quit from there. I mainly want to quit smoking daily as one every now and again is nice with a drink or three.

At any rate I have seen a lot of people quit over the years and I have never seen anyone on gum, patches, or pills quit for an extended peroid of time. Cold turkey seems to be the best way to go even though it sucks.

Honestly after going through opiate w/d multiple times nicotine w/d is not that bad. I will admit that the cravings are very intense, it takes a lot of will power to over come them but after a couple of weeks it gets a lot better.

i know no one knows me, but i want to quit and need support. tomorrow morning or sooner i am going to have my last cigarette for awhile. i am just going to smoke weed. but i am on a limited amount of weed, so i won't be rolling a joint everytime i crave a smoke. :p